All About Peach Butter

With Summer comes sweet juicy stone fruit like peaches and nectarines. Which is exactly what was in the second batch of fruit I received as part of the Canbassador program from SweetPreservation.com.  In addition to making a cobbler and a tomato peach salad, I made peach ginger butter. Fruit butter is very similar to jam, but it has a creamy consistency that seems amost buttery even though it�s completely dairy free. Fruit butters are easier to make than jam since they don�t set the same way. You cook the fruit to the right texture rather than setting with pectin. 

Since this was my first time making it, I had lots to learn. For one thing, you don�t need to remove the skins. I did, but this was not necessary since they get pureed into the mixture. I added some vanilla, cinnamon and cloves in a sachet. This was also probably unnecessary. Because of the ginger flavor you can�t really detect the other spices. I used mostly all peaches and one nectarine. 

The main thing I learned about making fruit butter is, it�s really easy to make! It takes very little time or effort and makes a jar makes a nice gift. The recipe I used came from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving

I like fruit butter on an English muffin, but it�s good on any sweet breakfast bread or toast. The silky consistency is really irresistable! I�ve put together a list of ways to use it.  Have you made or used fruit butters? If so, let me know how you like to use them.

Ways to use peach butter 

* Add to a cheese or charcuterie plate

* Use as a filling for cookies or pastries 

* Layer on a grilled cheese sandwich

* Mixed with mustard as a marinade or sauce

* Used in place of apple butter in cakes or muffin recipes

* Serve on crepes, pancakes or waffles 

* Swirl into yogurt  

* Mix it with ketchup and soy sauce to make a barbecue sauce

* Slather on biscuits, cornbread, muffins or croissants

Disclaimer: My thanks to the Washington State Fruit Commission for choosing me as a Canbassador and providing me with fruit and to Jarden for providing a copy of the book. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bison Rib Roast

Hatch Green Chili Con Carne Recipe

Wine on Fridays: Sequoia Grove Winery - A Taste of Cabernet